South Australian Medical Heritage Society IncWebsite for the Virtual Museum
Galleries of the Virtual Museum
Medical Museum At The Calvary Hospital, Adelaide.
Acknowledgements: We are most grateful to Terry Omond OAM, the past curator of the museum, who kindly allowed us to photograph the numerous items and photographs of medical heritage stored at the museum. We also thank Ian Forbes, now deceased, who allowed us access to his records and the book he wrote about the history of the hospital 1900-2000.
The Sisters soon gained recognition for their nursing expertise. The hospital and the admission rate
grew and additional funds and land became available. The Sisters were able to establish a nurse
training program which was most successful and graduated 1596 nurses, but was closed in 1980.
A very significant event was the establishment of the Mary Potter Hospice. Mary Potter, the founder of the order, was passionate about caring for the dying, particularly those who were impecunious. The Calvary hospital was in the forefront in the tradition. Several parts of the hospital were devoted to this aim from 1950, and the final building was started in 1988.
On the medical front there were many "firsts". Dr. D'Arcy Sutherland introduced cardiothoracic
surgery in the 1950's, Dr. Robert Britten-Jones started laparoscopic surgery in 1990, Dr. Gristwood
was involved in the recent developments in ENT surgery, and the Urologists initiated the purchase of
the "Lithotripter" to fragment the urinary calculi.
In the latter part of the 20th century there was a decreasing interest in religions vocations and the numbers of Sisters and Priests decreased. Sister Ann, the last religious administrator, left for Sydney in 2012, and was replaced by Director of the Mission Dr. Susan Holoubek. The religious influence remained, but it was run by lay administrators.
SOME OF THE PLAQUES STILL ON THE CORRIDOR WALLS.
THE BRITTEN-JONES FAMILY WERE LEADERS IN THE HISTORY OF CALVARY HOSPITAL.